As we get caught up in all the hustle and bustle at Christmas time, it is sometimes hard to keep Christ at the forefront of out thoughts. Here are a few things that help me to remember my Savior, not only at Christmas time but throughout the year.
1. Study your scriptures! The best way to keep Christ in our thoughts is to learn of him. Go to the source. Study of the scriptures on a daily basis will bring Christ into your life.
2. Pray in the name of Christ! Praying is an act of humility, a necessary attribute to bring us closer to Christ. As we pray with sincerity we will open ourselves to God’s love and peace. Start by increasing how often you pray, at least once per day, and your thoughts will be more focused on Christ. If you’re new to prayer just start small with a simple prayer. Express your thoughts and feelings to God and He will hear you.
3. Decorate with Christ in mind. Decorate your home with pictures of Christ, from both His birth and life. You can put up decorations that feature the birth of Christ including a nativity scene and Christmas advent calendar. Be creative as you decorate for the holiday. If you can’t find Christ centered decorations you can make your own.
4. Listen to Christ centered music. Focus on the words as you listen. What do they say to you? Do you feel the spirit touch your heart? There are so many beautiful songs about Christ. Our Father in Heaven loves to hear us sing. D&C 25:12 says..”For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.”
We will be blessed with Christ in our lives as we sing those songs of praise and comfort.
5. Focus your entertainment on Christ. There are many good books and movies about our Savior. If we will focus more of our downtime on Christ we will find ourselves closer to him. The following book is an excellent Christ-centered resource:
21 Days Closer to Christ – With 21 chapters, 21 invitations and 21 journeys to embark upon, this book is a great place to start coming closer to Christ.
6. Memorize Scriptures. An excellent way to focus your thoughts upon Christ during the Christmas season is to repeat scriptures, quotes, and other sayings about Christ throughout the day. Jot down some Christmas scriptures or Christmas quotes in a mini notebook or on some index cards and then carry them with you wherever you go. During those moments when you’re not doing anything (standing in line, stopped in traffic, on break, etc.) pull out your notebook and read your affirmations about Christ and Christmas. Such a small act has great power to keep Christ in Christmas.
7. Keep a Spiritual Journal. Keep a journal and write your thoughts about Him in it. All you need is a little notebook and a pen/pencil to get you started. Write down what you’re thankful for, how you feel, and what hopes you have. Write about past experiences, including those at Christmas time, and how you’ve seen the hand of God in your life. Share those Christmas traditions that remind you of Christ. Putting your thoughts to paper is a powerful way to change the focus of your thoughts and keep Christ in Christmas.
8. Share your love of Christ with others. Share your testimony of your Savior with your family, friends, co-workers or even strangers as it is appropriate. Ask them how they feel about Christ. You can show respect for those who do not believe in him by simply sharing your faith in Christ and how you feel about Christmas and allow them to share how they feel as well. Everyone has the right to worship as they see fit.
9. Serve others with charity. Christ was our greatest example of service with charity. He never expected anything in return for what he gave. He loved unconditionally with pure love. Moroni 7:46-47 “Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail— But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
We can emulate the Savior by serving others and this will bring us closer to him.
10. Give a gift to Christ. Christmastime is so focused on rushing here and there to buy this and that. Giving, getting and receiving seem to be the main focus of the season. If our thoughts are centered on Christ, what would he have us do? All of the above mentioned things are wonderful ways to show our love. As you serve others, as you seek to know the Savior and serve him you will be blessed.
By giving ourselves fully to him we will have his spirit with us and will find that it is not hard to know the true meaning of Christmas and how to keep Christ in it. May you have a joyous holiday season with Christ as your center.