|Extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2||small onion, chopped|
|6||slices prociutto or pancetta, thinly sliced|
|3||garlic cloves, minced|
|Salt and fresh ground pepper|
|1||large can crushed tomatoes|
|1||pound penne rigate pasta|
|1||cup heavy cream|
|Few basil leaves
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Heat a few drizzles of oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the prosciutto and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a minute. Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook for about 15 minutes.
- To the boiling water, add a handful of salt and the rigatoni. Cook until al dente.
- Pour the cream into a mixing bowl and whip with a hand mixer until peaks form. Fold it gently into the tomato sauce.
- Drain the rigatoni and add to the sauce. Mix to combine and season, if needed. Add the basil and grate fresh mozzarella on top…. serve immediately.
This is so….good! If you don’t have access to prociutto or pancetta you could put in ham. I promise you ..it will not be the same, however, it will still be good. Try to get ham that has had the least amount of processing. No nitrates or nitrites…..It is out there!
If you want the cheesy bread recipe it is here!