Turkey Pot Pie
With a large family and lots of leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner…we still have turkey. So today I will be making: Turkey Pot Pie! I am including the recipe for all of you that would like to try it as well. If you don’t have any turkey left..use chicken. This is sooo good!
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
* 2/3 cup shortening
* 1 tablespoon cold butter
* 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
* 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
* 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
* 1/3 cup chopped celery (I don’t like celery…so this will be excluded in mine.)
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 cup Chicken Broth (I saved my turkey broth for this purpose.)
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%)
* 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
* 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed (may used canned, drained)
* 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed (may used canned, drained)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* Combine flour and salt; blend. Add cheese; using a pastry blender..(fork works) blend until fine crumbs form. Add shortening and butter; blend until coarse crumbs form. Gradually add water until dough forms a ball. (If you have a processor…this is a little easier process. Or you can use a pie crust left over from Thanksgiving pie plans!)
* Divide dough in half with one ball slightly larger than the other; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
* For filling, in a large saucepan, saute the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion in butter for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
* Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the remaining ingredients; simmer 5 minutes longer.
* Roll out larger pastry ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Pour hot turkey filling into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top or make decorative cutouts in pastry.
* Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.